The proposed legislation in Massachusetts sets out some basic principles:
1. Repairers should be able to access all the latest vehicle repair information and diagnostic codes.
2. That access is in return for a ‘fair’ subscription price.
3. Diagnostic data would be the same as for manufacturer franchise dealers, and accessible via a common OBD II port.
4. The proposed state law would come into effect from 2015 Model Year cars (mid-2014 onwards).
5. Failure to comply would prevent a vehicle manufacturer or importer from selling cars in the state.
More here; http://www.autoindustryinsider.com/?p=4800